Thursday, August 20, 2009

Name Your Own Price: explanation


I've helped family and friends book the cheapest flights possible in the past, and I've found they have a lot of questions about the "name your own price" option on Priceline.

Is it too good to be true?

Well, for the most part, no.

This is an option exclusive to Priceline.com (which is why it's one of my favorite sites), that allows you to enter your own price for hotels and flights. The price you enter will be accepted or denied and there is no penalty for trying.

The "catch" with this is that you cannot choose your own hotel or airline; and for flights, you have no control of the flight times and layovers. And yes, it usually ends up being a less than convenient time if your price is accepted.

BUT! Just as they advertise, I've been able to get 40% off flights and hotels this way. Meaning the listed price, had I booked it normally, was around 60% higher. The best deal I've ever gotten is a round trip flight from Buffalo, NY to Los Angeles, CA for $189.00 including taxes!

So take advantage of this option, especially if you are flexible on flight times and the like. I remember my under $200 flight across country being one of the most enjoyable! :)

Happy travels!

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment